Rock Odyssey: The Steel Crows’ Vibrant Journey from St. Louis to Orlando
Today’s feature dives deep into the rock-reviving rhythms of The Steel Crows, a band rapidly ascending in the rock music world. This exclusive interview sheds light on the creative journey behind their self-titled debut album, The Steel Crows. Traversing from the vibrant streets of St. Louis to the dynamic pulse of Orlando, their journey is a vibrant testament to their evolving sound, deeply rooted in the essence of rock and roll.
1. Your debut album, The Steel Crows, showcases a diverse range of rock influences. How did you manage to blend these different styles while maintaining a cohesive sound throughout the album?
We carefully picked the songs for this album from multiple recording sessions spanning almost 6 months. We made some tough choices, having to leave certain songs off the album, but we did it with cohesiveness in mind. We chose the 8 songs we felt represented our current state as a band the most and, when combined, provided the most enjoyable listening experience.
2. “Jenny” has been a pivotal single for your band. Could you share the inspiration behind this song and why it’s special to you?
Jenny is a song about becoming enamored with someone to the point where you can’t even imagine seeing them with someone else, and they’re all you can think about. To me, this song is something everyone can relate to on a personal level, and I believe that’s what makes the song so special to me and so many others!
3. The track “Isolation” explores more introspective themes. What was the creative process behind this song, and how does it reflect your personal experiences?
The song began with the guitar riff heard at the beginning of the track and evolved from there. At the time, I was going through a dark period, still adjusting to an adult lifestyle, and recently having moved away from home. I felt very isolated from people in my life and very lonely, hence the more introspective and lonely themes explored in the song.
4. Your band has a distinct fashion style that complements your music. How do you see your visual aesthetic contributing to your overall artistic identity?
Music and visuals are so intertwined, especially nowadays, that I feel our fashion style affects the way people view us and our music. It changes the way we perform, the way we write, and the way we interact with each other and our fans. In a profession with so much noise and competition, we view our fashion as another way to help us stand out and be unique to ourselves!
5. With influences from Led Zeppelin to Guns N’ Roses, how do you ensure your music stands out while paying homage to these classic rock legends?
We put our own twist on the classic rock sound we all love. These people are our heroes, and we try to emulate all the best things about them, but we also add our own personal touch to the music. Henry’s voice is extremely unique to himself, which also helps us stand out from other bands both past and present. Not to mention our approach to mixing music, blending old school techniques with new school technology and equipment.
6. Could you walk us through your songwriting process, especially how you start with guitar compositions and build up to the final track?
The guitar part almost always comes first in our songwriting process. With Henry being the primary songwriter, once he comes up with his guitar arrangement for the whole song, he begins working on the vocals. He’ll bring the guitar and vocal arrangements to the band, and we will all come up with our own parts to fit the song. Occasionally, as we are recording, we will come up with new ideas to add to the song to make it stand out just a bit more.
7. The album features a variety of themes, from psychedelia to hair metal. Was this diversity intentional from the start, or did it evolve naturally during the recording process?
The goal was for our first album to feature as diverse a catalogue of songs as we could. This stems from our love of albums like Led Zeppelin 1, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Paranoid, and many others. One of our favourite qualities these albums all share is the diversity of the songs and sounds on them.
8. “The Place Where No One Can Hear You Scream” seems to delve into darker territories. What inspired this track, and how does it fit within the album’s narrative?
Much of this album stems from a place of deep loneliness and isolation, as exemplified in this track. “The Place Where No One Can Hear You Scream” is really a metaphor for feeling like you are screaming out for help, but no one seems to be noticing or even caring. This is a song we feel many out there can relate to and find solace in.
9. As a band that started in Naples and moved to Orlando, how has your journey influenced the music you create?
The diverse music scene in Orlando and the amazing people we have met here have changed the way we approach and produce our music. In Naples, Henry got his start and learned the basics of running a band, performing live shows, and mixing and producing music. Since the move to Orlando, we have all thrived off of the relationships and influences that we found here and the experiences that you go through being out on your own for the first time.
10. Finally, what do you hope listeners take away from The Steel Crows album, and what can fans expect from your band in the future?
We hope listeners hear how passionate we are about creating music that is both paying homage to the music of the past and laying the roadwork for our music of the future. So much time, effort, and love were put into this album, and we really hope that shows. This is the first step for us as a band, and it shows us in our infancy as songwriters and performers. We plan to build off this first release and keep improving and growing. We aim to be consistent, putting out new music every month, and to keep reaching true rock lovers just like us. The goal is to be able to have a long, fruitful career in the music industry and release music that touches people and leaves them wanting more!
As we wrap up our insightful conversation with The Steel Crows, it’s clear that their journey is woven into a rich tapestry of musical dedication and evolution. Their debut album, The Steel Crows, is not only a showcase of their wide-ranging influences but also marks an important milestone in their artistic journey. With a future as bright as their history is profound, The Steel Crows are poised to continue their ascent in the rock universe. Keep an ear out for their future projects as they navigate the ever-changing currents of the music industry with passion and creativity.
Stream The Steel Crows below: